Who: International Council for Advertising Self-Regulation (ICAS)
Where: Various jurisdictions worldwide
When: 7 May 2021
Law stated as at: 30 June 2021
ICAS is a global platform which promotes responsible advertising through effective advertising self-regulation and by bringing together a network of self-regulatory organisations (SROs) across the world, including the UK’s Advertising Standards Authority, as well as global associations representing the advertising industry and experts on global advertising and marketing laws.
In May 2021, ICAS members adopted a charter to strengthen advertising self-regulation globally by committing to enhance cooperation, coherence and consistency for the benefit of global consumers and businesses. In particular, ICAS members have committed to increase co-operation, coherence and consistency and have set up a number of commitments that cover all aspects of an effective and trusted self-regulatory system including:
- High standards – comprehensive and effective codes.
- Universality and comprehensive coverage – bringing together advertisers, agencies, media/publishers and platforms.
- Inclusivity and openness – regular communication with stakeholders.
- Independence – SROs administering and enforcing the relevant code and standards.
- Sustainable funding – adequate and sustained funding.
- Advice and training – raising awareness and standards.
- Effective and impartial dispute resolution – efficient and impartial complaints system with a staggered scale of sanctions.
- Monitoring and evaluation – proactive monitoring of compliance and updating codes to reflect changes in technology and society.
- Technological innovation – investing in automation and artificial intelligence.
- Accountability and transparency – communicating publicly and transparently regarding activities and enforcement action.
Why this matters:
The charter is a direct recognition by ICAS of a world that is increasingly digital and interconnected, where companies trade globally, and consumers have access to information, goods and services worldwide.